Washington State Information Technology Specialist 5 (ITS5) – Database Administrator in Tumwater, Washington
Information Technology Specialist 5 (ITS5) – Database Administrator Database Services - Information Technology Administrative Operations Division Headquarters – Tumwater, WA
This position may be filled as an ITS4 (in-training) to ITS5.
ITS4 salary range – $4,762 - $6,247
ITS5 salary range - $5,253 - $6,894
*This posting is open continuous until filled. The first review date is on October 20, 2016. To be considered for the initial review we encourage you to submit your application and all required materials prior to this date. *
The Department of Corrections (DOC) is seeking a highly motivated and qualified individual to fill the role of an ITS5 – Database Administrator in the Database Services Unit, Information Technology, within the Administrative Operations Division. This is a full-time, permanent position located at DOC Headquarters in Tumwater, Washington. If you are interested in applying and would like to be considered, please apply directly at careers.wa.gov and attach the following documents:
- Current Resume, (chronological, with relevant experience listed).
- Minimum of three (3) professional references, (including name, phone number and email address).
- Letter of Interest, (no more than two (2) pages), indicating how you meet the qualifications and why you believe you are the ideal candidate for this position. We are looking for evidence in your application materials that you have the experience, skills, and abilities indicated in this job posting. Qualified applicants whose responses most closely match the requirements of this position may be invited to interview. Carefully review your application before submitting. All information may be verified and documentation may be required. The initial screening will be solely based on the contents and completeness of the application materials submitted.
Whether the work is inside a prison, in community corrections, or in an administrative office, the Washington State DOC professional staff experience a high degree of personal satisfaction knowing they are creating environments in which all offenders can learn to make choices that contribute to a safer society.
The DOC, as a partner in the criminal justice system, enhances public safety, administers criminal sanctions and programs in accordance with the law, and provides leadership for the future of corrections in Washington State. The DOC consists of the Office of the Secretary, the Office of the Deputy Secretary, Prisons Division, Offender Change Division, Community Corrections Division, Administrative Operations Division, Health Services Division, Correctional Industries Division, Reentry Division and the Indeterminate Sentence Review Board. The DOC employs over 8,300 staff and has a biennial budget of approximately $1.9 billion.
- Comprehensive compensation packages;
- Training and development opportunities;
- Flexible Schedules; and
- The fulfillment of public service. Duties
As a member of the Enterprise Database Services Unit you will support the Department's mission by providing professional level consultative services to IT personnel in database management and utilization. You will be responsible for major applications and/or database projects that impact agency mission critical applications as Offender Trust Accounting (TAS) Offender Management Network Information (OMNI), and Offender Base Tracking System (OBTS). You will serve as a senior expert in enterprise databases and perform administration for enterprise level databases within the Department. Some of what you'll do:
- Analyze and plan for anticipated changes in data capacity requirements.
- Define needed data standards, policies, and procedures around database management.
- Install and configure database management systems software (Oracle, DB2 LUW, and Microsoft SQL) on a Windows platform.
- Perform backup and recovery of databases to ensure data integrity.
- Monitor and maintain databases to ensure optimal performance.
- Provide recommendations on new database technologies and architectures.
- Perform configuration management, problem management, capacity management, and financial management for databases and data management systems.
- Provisions Oracle databases in all application environments by creating, modifying, deleting and binding objects to allow access to DOC's databases.
- Provide recommendations on quarterly Oracle database security update patches published by Oracle Corporation and deploy the necessary patches through the application promotion path.
- Backup to provisioning DB2 databases on z/OS on Windows platform in all applications environments by creating, modifying, deleting and binding objects to allow access to DOC's databases.
- Work to have all changes made to production performed from scripts.
- Create, update, maintain and manage DOC's physical data models of agency databases for OMNI & OBTS.
- Review database requests for standards and functionality, as an expert in database administration,
- Provide troubleshooting/problem resolution for OBTS DB2 databases, production and test environments.
- Develop automation scripts using one or more of the following software languages PowerShell, Command line batch jobs, JCL and other. Qualifications
- Four (4) years of work experience such as consulting, analyzing, designing, programming, and maintaining computer software applications and/or developing and maintaining databases including one (1) year as ITS4 or equivalent.
- To determine if your experience is equivalent, please see the class specifications of an ITS4 at: http://hr.ofm.wa.gov/compensation-job-classes/ClassifiedJobListing/Specifications/937
- Two (2) year of Oracle database administration, installation and support of database administration products and monitoring of Oracle using OEM.
- Or Two (2) year of IBM DB2 on z/OS or on Microsoft Windows O/S management, installation and database administration.
- One year of technical knowledge of Data Modeling Tools and techniques (ERwin).
- Advanced experience managing and configuring Microsoft Windows server 2008 R2 and newer.
- Four (4) years of work experience such as consulting, analyzing, designing, programming, and maintaining computer software applications and/or developing and maintaining databases including one (1) year as ITS3 or equivalent.
- To determine if your experience is equivalent, please see the class specifications of an ITS3 at: http://hr.ofm.wa.gov/compensation-job-classes/ClassifiedJobListing/Specifications/938
- One (1) year of Oracle database administration, installation, programming, and support of database administration products and monitoring of Oracle using OEM.
- Or one (1) year of IBM DB2 on z/OS or on Microsoft Windows O/S management, installation, programming, and database administration.
- Six-months of technical knowledge of Data Modeling Tools and techniques (ERwin).
- Developing experience managing and configuring Microsoft Windows server 2008 R2 and newer.
- At least one of the following professional Level-2 certification as defined by the Department of Defense 8570.01-M Information Assurance Workforce Improvement Program such as Security+, GSEC, SCNP or SSCP.
- A Bachelor's degree including 9 semester or 15 quarter hours of computer science courses from an accredited institution whose accreditation is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), or a foreign equivalent, which includes completion of course work in at least one application programming language.
- Technical knowledge in programming languages (i.e. SQL, COBOL, JCL, DDL, Windows scripting), and performance monitoring tools (OMEGAMON, DETECTOR, PLAN ANALYZER, etc.)
- IBM Certified Advanced Database Administrator DB2 10.1 for Linux, Unix and Windows
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE) Data Platforms.
- Oracle Database 12c Administrator Certified Professional
- One year of work experience with DL2 software for DB2 z/OS and applying fix packs.
- Working knowledge of project management and time management.
- One year of Oracle on Microsoft Windows O/S management and installation.
- One year of Microsoft SQL server software management and installation. Supplemental Information
'The mission of DOC is to improve public safety.'
For additional information about the agency, please visit www.doc.wa.gov.
- All DOC employees are fingerprinted for a criminal history background check.
- Employees work with offenders in a potentially hazardous setting. Please consider this when deciding whether to apply.
- We are committed to maintaining a drug and alcohol free work environment, and our employees are expected to comply with all state and federal laws. A pre-employment drug test may be administered as part of the selection process, and applicants who test positive for any controlled substances, will be disqualified from consideration.
- Animal care projects are a common component of most Washington State prisons, including dog and cat programs. Applicants with animal sensitivities or allergies are encouraged to ask about the level of exposure they could expect in this position.
- Tuberculosis is a priority health issue for DOC employees. The successful candidate may be required to provide valid proof of a baseline TB skin test within 60 days from the date of hire. When positive tests result, further information, testing and treatment may also be required. Employment is not contingent upon test results.
- If this position is included in a Union Shop, employees will be required to become members within thirty (30) days of employment.
We are committed to hiring individuals who possess core diversity competencies:
- Foster a positive attitude and openness toward the ever changing social and cultural makeup of the workplace.
- Work effectively with men and women of different perspectives, abilities, disabilities, races, religions, ages, lifestyle preferences and social, ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
- Respectfully acknowledge people's differences and recognize these differences as important and valuable.
- Promote inclusiveness.
- Be culturally sensitive and appropriate.
- Respect and value diverse backgrounds and traditions.
DOC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity diversity, age, honorably discharged veteran, veteran status, genetic information, or the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability or the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability.
For questions about this recruitment, or to request reasonable accommodation in the application process, please email email@example.com call us at (360) 725-8404. For TTY service, please call the Washington Relay Service at 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388.
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Job Number: 2016-10339
Department: Dept. of Corrections
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Salary: $5,253.00 - $6,894.00 Monthly
Location: Thurston County – Tumwater, WA