Washington State ITS5 - EDWBI Developer in Tumwater, Washington
IT Specialist 5 – EDWBI Developer Office of the Deputy Secretary – Research and Data Analytics Headquarters – Tumwater, WA
NOTE*: This recruitment will remain open until filled. The initial review date will be held on October 4, 2016, therefore, it is in the candidates best interest to submit application materials prior to that date. The employer reserves the right to make a hiring action at any time.*
The Department of Corrections (DOC) is seeking a highly motivated and qualified individual for an IT Specialist 5 in Business Intelligence (BI) within the Office of the Deputy Secretary – Research and Data Analytics. This is a full-time, non-permanent position located at DOC Headquarters in Tumwater, Washington. This position is anticipated to last until June 30, 2017.
If you are interested in applying and would like to be considered, please apply directly at careers.wa.gov and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest, (no more than two (2) pages), indicating how you meet the qualifications and why you believe you are the ideal candidate for this position.
- Current Resume, (chronological, with relevant experience listed).
- Minimum of three (3) professional references, (including name, phone number and email address). We are looking for evidence in your application materials that you have the experience, skills, and abilities indicated in this job posting. Qualified applicants whose responses most closely match the requirements of this position may be invited to interview. Carefully review your application before submitting. All information may be verified and documentation may be required. The initial screening will be solely based on the contents and completeness of the application materials submitted.
Whether the work is inside a prison, in community corrections, or in an administrative office, the Washington State DOC professional staff experience a high degree of personal satisfaction knowing they are creating environments in which all offenders can learn to make choices that contribute to a safer society.
The DOC, as a partner in the criminal justice system, enhances public safety, administers criminal sanctions and programs in accordance with the law, and provides leadership for the future of corrections in Washington State. The DOC consists of the Office of the Secretary, the Office of the Deputy Secretary, Prisons Division, Offender Change Division, Community Corrections Division, Administrative Operations Division, Health Services Division, Correctional Industries Division, Reentry Division and the Indeterminate Sentence Review Board. The DOC employs over 8,300 staff and has a biennial budget of approximately $1.9 billion.
- Comprehensive compensation packages;
- Training and development opportunities;
- Flexible Schedules; and
- The fulfillment of public service.
This position serves as an expert technical specialist working closely with DOC customers in all areas of development, and consists of analysis legacy data, data scrubbing, data modeling, extract, transform, and load (ETL) into normalized and denormalized databases. Reports will be developed using state-of-the-art enterprise reporting tools. The BI developer will be actively involved in creation, evaluation, implementation, and review of enterprise data warehouse architecture in order to ensure that a high level of design is reached and maintained. This person will collaborate with Data Modelers and Data Architects to drive data design within DOC's Research and Data Analytics Division and Information Systems. This position will be assigned one or more projects as a resource responsible for providing consultation and support in the development, analysis, design, and management of a variety of complex data sources to support continuous quality improvement processes and reduce waste.
The BI Developer will also be required to follow and promote modeling best practices and standards. This position will require an individual who can work with minimal supervision on a wide range of projects interfacing with development teams, business analysts, technical analysts, testers, product owners, and members of the business community, while consistently ensuring that their work is aligned with the Business Intelligence Group's strategic direction. This position will be expected to stay current on database technology, Microsoft BI Tools such as PowerBI, PowerQuery, etc., while also continuing to grow their knowledge of the DOC business.
- A Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science or closely allied field, to include nine (9) semester hours or fifteen (15) quarter hours in computer science courses from an accredited college or university whose accreditation is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) or foreign equivalent.*
- Four (4) years of experience in each of the following, which may be concurrent with other IT related experience:
- Skills to write SQL queries and stored procedures for combining, analyzing, and reporting data.
- Skills to design, develop, and implement SQL Server SSRS, SSIS, and SSAS.
- Ability to translate a data model or logical database design into an actual physical database implementation and to manage that database once it has been implemented.
- Ability to design databases so that only accurate and appropriate data is entered and maintained.
- Skills in data security to ensure that only authorized users have access to data.
- Skills in performance management and tuning.
- Ability to effectively identify critical information for data analysis.
- Skills in modeling, normalization, and conceptual and logical design.
- Ability to conduct requirements definition sessions with program staff in order to understand their business/data needs.
- Experience in requirements elicitation, documentation, and other business analysis tasks and methodologies. Note:Experience within information technology such as consulting, analyzing, designing, programming, installing and/or maintaining computer software applications, hardware, telecommunications or network infrastructure equipment, directing projects, providing customer or technical support may substitute for the Bachelor's degree on the basis of one (1) year of experience towards two (2) years of education.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities*:*
- Knowledge of techniques to ensure availability using non-disruptive administration tactics.
- Knowledge of capacity planning and the ability to predict growth based on application and data usage patterns and to implement the necessary data changes to accommodate the growth.
- Knowledge of storage management techniques.
- Knowledge of Datamarts and Cubes.
- User management and engagement skills.
- Design – Technology – Bug Fix/Testing/Development Process skills.
- Security management skills.
- Performance management skills.
Project Management skills. Desired:
A Master's degree in Computer Science or closely allied field, to include nine (9) semester hours or fifteen (15) quarter hours in computer science courses from an accredited college or university whose accreditation is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education or the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) or foreign equivalent. Supplemental Information
The mission of DOC is to improve public safety.
For additional information about the agency, please visit www.doc.wa.gov.
- All DOC employees are fingerprinted for a criminal history background check.
- Employees work with offenders in a potentially hazardous setting. Please consider this when deciding whether to apply.
- We are committed to maintaining a drug and alcohol free work environment, and our employees are expected to comply with all state and federal laws. A pre-employment drug test may be administered as part of the selection process, and applicants who test positive for any controlled substances, including marijuana, will be disqualified from consideration.
- Animal care projects are a common component of most Washington State prisons, including dog and cat programs. Applicants with animal sensitivities or allergies are encouraged to ask about the level of exposure they could expect in this position.
- Tuberculosis is a priority health issue for DOC employees. The successful candidate may be required to provide valid proof of a baseline TB skin test within 60 days from the date of hire. When positive tests result, further information, testing and treatment may also be required. Employment is not contingent upon test results. We are committed to hiring individuals who possess core diversity competencies:
- Foster a positive attitude and openness toward the ever changing social and cultural makeup of the workplace.
- Work effectively with men and women of different perspectives, abilities, disabilities, races, religions, ages, lifestyle preferences and social, ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
- Respectfully acknowledge people's differences and recognize these differences as important and valuable.
- Promote inclusiveness.
- Be culturally sensitive and appropriate.
- Respect and value diverse backgrounds and traditions. DOC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity diversity, age, honorably discharged veteran, veteran status, genetic information, or the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability or the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability.
For questions about this recruitment, or to request reasonable accommodation in the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (360) 725-8557. For TTY service, please call the Washington Relay Service at 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388.
Job Type: Full Time - Non-Permanent
Job Number: 2016-09469
Department: Dept. of Corrections
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Salary: $63,036.00 - $82,728.00 Annually
Location: Thurston County – Tumwater, WA