Washington State CRO Section Manager (WMS Band 2) in Union Gap, Washington
Keeping Washington Clean and Evergreen
Protecting Washington State's environment for current and future generations is what we do every day at Ecology. We are a culture that is invested in making a difference. If you want to join a team that is highly effective, collaborative, has leadership that embraces the value of people, and believes in the fun factor, Ecology is a good fit.
The Hazardous Waste and Toxics Reduction (HWTR) Program within the Department of Ecology is looking to fill a CRO Section Manager (WMS Band 2) position. This position is located in our Central Regional Office (CRO) in Union Gap, WA.
The CRO Section Manager position is responsible for administration and management of the HWTR Program as a Section Manager in the Central Regional Office. This position functions as a member of the Hazardous Waste and Toxics Reduction Program management team by assigning and managing resources, selecting, developing and promoting program initiatives and recommending and approving polices pertaining to personnel, budget, and environmental management. This position may also represent the Program and the agency before elected bodies, other governmental agencies, interest groups, news media, and the general public. This position provides direct supervision of eight professional environmental staff including environmental specialists and a hydrogeologist, and one administrative staff. This position represents the HWTR program as a member of the Central Regional Office Management Team.
As an agency, our mission is to protect, preserve and enhance Washington's environment for current and future generations. We invest in our employees to create and sustain a working environment that encourages creative leadership, effective resource management, teamwork, professionalism and accountability. Maybe you've seen some of our recent stories on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or our blog.
To learn more about our agency, please visit our website at www.ecy.wa.gov.
Local efforts... Diverse people... Statewide impacts
The Hazardous Waste and Toxics Reduction (HWTR) Program is made up of people dedicated to fostering sustainability, preventing pollution, and promoting safe waste management. We do many different things in a coordinated approach to protect the people and environment of Washington from pollution from hazardous products and waste.
The CRO Section Manager position is responsible to plan, organize, control, lead and direct the work performed by the regional staff primarily:
- Managing hazardous waste compliance and enforcement and waste reduction/pollution prevention activities in 7 central Washington counties.
- Ensuring the public and regulated entities are provided appropriate information on hazardous waste rules, management of wastes and technical assistance to reduce waste and prevent pollution.
- As a member of the HWTR Program Management Team assigns and manages resources; selects, develops and promotes program initiatives; recommends and approves policies pertaining to budget, personnel and environmental management.
- Plans, organizes and leads the work in the section. Identifies and prioritizes section tasks, staff and resource needs.
- Directly supervises professional environmental staff which includes high level environmental specialists, a hydrogeologist and an administrative employee with a total of 8 staff in the section.
- Prepares project work plans and schedules; tracks section progress/problems. Reviews staff products to ensure quality (both substance and editorial).
- Performs personnel actions including interviewing, making recommendations to hire, assigning, monitoring and judging the quality and quantity of work, providing guidance and direction, conducting performance appraisals, approving/disapproving leave requests, and performing corrective or disciplinary action if needed. Develops training plans for staff. Qualifications
A Bachelor's degree involving a major study in an environmental, physical, or natural science, engineering, planning, business or public administration, or closely allied field AND four (4) years of professional experience in environmental analysis, control, planning, or community outreach.
Please include the following documents as an attachment to your application:
- A cover letter describing how your experience, skills and abilities meet the required qualifications of this position and make you the best candidate for this position.
- A resume outlining your professional experience.
Please complete the applicant profile when applying for this position. Or, you may paste the text of your resume within the profile's resume text field.
Please read the supplemental questions carefully and answer completely. Incomplete responses, including "please see resume" may disqualify you from further consideration.
Department of Ecology employees, please make sure to answer the agency-wide questions regarding permanent status as a classified employee within the Washington General Service or Washington Management Service. Do not forget to select Department of Ecology as a response to question 2, and type your personnel ID number for question 3. If you are not sure of your status or do not know your personnel ID number, please contact Human Resources at (360) 407-6186.
If you are reading this announcement in print format, please visit www.careers.wa.gov to access the online recruitment system. Click on "Look for Jobs" and select Dept. of Ecology under the "Department" search list. Click "Apply Search."
If you need assistance applying for this job, please call Human Resources at (360) 407-6186 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not call this number or send an email to this address to follow-up the status of your application. You can view the latest status of your application on your profile's main page.
If you have specific questions about the position, please email Darin Rice at: email@example.com. Please do not contact Darin to inquire about the status of your application.
The act of submitting application materials electronically is considered affirmation that the information is complete and truthful. The state may verify this information and any untruthful or misleading answers are cause for rejection of your application or dismissal if employed.
The Washington State Department of Ecology is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a working environment that includes and respects cultural, racial, ethnic, sexual orientation and gender identity diversity. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, veterans or people with military status, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons needing accommodation in the application/testing process or this job announcement in an alternative format may call (360) 407-6186. Applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing may call the Washington Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388.
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Job Number: 2016-HWTR2881-10528
Department: Dept. of Ecology
Closing: 10/23/2016 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Salary: $79,969.00 - $101,604.00 Annually
Location: Yakima County - Union Gap, WA