Washington State Revenue Agent 1 in Vancouver, Washington
At Department of Revenue we are dedicated to educating and assisting business owners to help bring their business into compliance with Washington state tax laws. We offer great on the job, real life training so you will feel prepared as you begin this career path.
This is your opportunity to work in a dynamic learning organization with great leaders and talented co-workers! Department of Revenue prides itself in being a work/life balance organization with growth opportunities and programs like tuition reimbursement.
Division Overview: The mission of the Department of Revenue is to fairly and efficiently collect revenues and administer programs to fund public services, and advocate sound tax policy. The Compliance Division supports this mission by collecting taxes through education, investigation and enforcement on behalf of Washington citizens so that tax laws are applied fairly and state services are funded.
Click here to find out more about Department of Revenue
With supervisory direction, you'll independently resolve revenue collection activities on less complex delinquent accounts. To resolve the delinquent accounts, you'll encourage voluntary compliance by educating business owners of their tax reporting and payment responsibilities. You'll promote voluntary compliance by contacting taxpayers over the phone, in writing, and in-person to explain state tax laws and regulations, reporting requirements, and payment deadlines. When managing taxpayers with delinquent accounts, it's important you are professional and respectful in providing information and requesting prompt payment. A key to success in this position is the ability to be patient to hear the taxpayer's concerns, yet be firm enough to explain the consequences of not paying the delinquent taxes and following through with the action if the taxpayer is unresponsive. Your ability to talk on the phone, record notes into the department's computer system and direct the taxpayers to tax information on our website quickly using clear communication skills is essential in this job.
Additionally, you'll be responsible for:
- This position also provides dedicated support for customer service in the Vancouver office, assisting taxpayers, taxpayer representatives and the general public with registration and tax reporting requirements.
- Educating and advising taxpayers personally and by telephone of their tax liabilities/responsibilities, filing deadlines, payment obligations as outlined in state tax laws, department policies and procedures.
- Taking enforced collection action against non-compliant taxpayers which can include bank/wage garnishments and revocation of business registration certificates.
- Contacting taxpayers who have delinquent accounts by using professional techniques in telephone use and correspondence to determine and collect the outstanding tax liability.
- Conducting field work and investigation on delinquent accounts at taxpayer places of business, job sites, and residence.
- Use your negotiating skills to obtain full payment or negotiate payment agreements based on analysis and verification of financial information
- Continuously update histories and Taxpayer information on appropriate agency computer systems.
Bachelor's degree in business or public administration, accounting, communications, finance, economics, political science, criminal justice, law, sociology, or psychology (degree must be from an accredited college or university by the U.S. Department of Education and Council for Higher Education Accreditation [CHEA])
Two years experience as a Tax Service Representative, Tax Information Specialist or other tax collection experience in the Department of Revenue.
Experience may be substituted year for year for education in any of the following areas;
- Experience directly responsible for collecting or attempting to collect debts owed or due from an individual or any kind of business entity.
- Experience in law enforcement or financial industry adjustment of claims, skip tracing or investigations involving personal background, business practices or fraud. The successful candidate must;
- Possess clear communication skills to work with customers in person or over the telephone and in writing, sometimes in confrontational situations.
- Travel to taxpayer businesses to conduct field investigations. The successful candidate must demonstrate the following skills while assisting taxpayers;
- Record notes proficiently and accurately into appropriate agency computer systems during telephone conversation.
- Move between computer screens to find information quickly to answer taxpayers' questions. Looking for future promotion? If you excel at your position you will qualify for Revenue Agent 2 and you will be considered for promotion to a higher salary range $3,541-$4,644 per month (Range 50).
To* be considered;*
- Complete the online application in detail.
- Attach a resume.
- Attach a letter of interest, explaining how you qualify for this position. To take advantage of Veteran's preferenceplease attach your DD-214, member 4 long form, or your NGB-22.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (360) 704-5725. Supplemental Information
To be considered for a Revenue Agent position, you must have complied with Washington state tax laws. During the hiring process, the Compliance Division will review the Department of Revenue records to ensure you have complied with Washington state tax laws.
This job announcement may be used to fill multiple vacancies for up to 6 months.
Prior to any new appointment into the Department of Revenue, a background check will be conducted.
This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement. This means you must either join the union and pay union dues, or pay the union a representational or other fee within 30 days of your start date.
The Department of Revenue is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and offer a respectful, inclusive culture for people with disabilities, as well as members of all protected groups and statuses. We encourage you to apply.
If you need help during the application process, please call the Human Resources Office at 360-704-5731. Applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing may call through the Washington Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388.
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Job Number: 2016-10576
Department: Dept. of Revenue
Closing: 10/27/2016 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Salary: $3,907.00 Monthly
Location: Clark County – Vancouver, WA