Indian Health Service Social Services Aid (Open Cont.) in Wakpala, South Dakota
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Wakpala, SD
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Friday 5/13/2016 (163 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 12/30/2016 (68 day(s) away)
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
This position is located at the Great Plains Area Youth Treatment Center (GPAYRTC) in Mobridge, South Dakota. GPAYRTC is a Federal facility and a smoke-free environment. GPAYRTC is an 18-bed residential facility that provides a multidisciplinary, multimodal (12 Steps, adventure based, traditional therapy oriented) program for Native American adolescents. Services are provided seven days a week. The incumbent will be required to work on any of the shifts to include day, evening, overnight, weekends, and holidays.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This position is being announced concurrently under Delegated Examining procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number ++IHS-16-GP-1704362-DE++; for eligibility requirements.
NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
- Cultural Education/Therapeutic Activity Leader, creates lesson plans, curricula, and other cultural education groups for the patients.
- Provide guidance and education on daily living skills, social etiquette, personal health and hygiene to patients.
- Facility Support: will attend multidisciplinary meeting, provide updates about the treatment progress, behavioral or other issues that a resident may be having.
- Keeps documentation and daily log of all aspects of care including documenting behavior, bed checks, etc...
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional Travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- ESEP appointees typically serve two year trial period.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
BASIC REQUIREMENT(S): GS-4: Six months of general experience and six months of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-3 grade level.
General Experience: (l) Any type of work that demonstrates the applicant's ability to perform the work of the position, or (2) experience that provided a familiarity with the subject matter or processes of the broad subject area of the occupation.
Specialized Experience Examples of qualifying specialized experience include:
- Group leader in community or residential recreation or training programs.
- Counselor in a youth summer camp.
- Instructor in a training program for the development of job skills.
- Work that demonstrated the ability to be responsible for and to lead and train members of a job crew.
- Group activities leader in the Armed Services.
- Unit leader-monitor-proctor for a dormitory group in a boarding school or other residential facility.
- Aid or assistant to professional or specialist staff in such fields as personnel (private or government), employment guidance in a vocational or academic institution, social service, or manpower development.
- Aid or assistant to professional or associate staff engaged in work of a social services nature in private, public welfare, government program, or community organizations, or in voluntary activities.
- Aid or assistant to professional or specialist staff working with individuals who are addicted to or abuse alcohol and/or drugs.
Education For GS-4: Successful completion of 2 years of study that (a) included at least 12 semester hours of subjects directly related to the work of the position, or (b) was supplemented by experience in activities that afforded the opportunity to acquire and demonstrate the skills required by the position. (The supplementary experience may have been gained, for example, in part-time or summer employment, in volunteer social welfare or recreation programs, or in community organizations.)
Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Friday, December 30, 2016
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Selectee(s) are required to have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payment. You may apply separately for each announcement if you want to be considered under each hiring plan.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $28,886.00 to $37,551.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0186-04/04
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Candidates eligible under Indian Preference appointing authority (ESEP); All Federal employees serving on a career or career-conditional appointment; Reinstatement eligible; Veterans Preference including Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA); Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) eligible or Schedule A, and/or PHS commissioned Corp Personnel.
Control Number: 438892900
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-GP-1704281-ESEP/MP