Amtrak Program Management Director - 90202877 - Washington in Washington, District Of Columbia
Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
The Program Management Director is responsible for the management of multi-million dollar and highly complex enterprise-wide programs. This position is responsible for managing all aspects of the planning, design, development and implementation of programs and project efforts that utilize information technology solutions.
- This role develops, establishes and maintains project management standards and procedures, and is responsible for developing the project scope, defining project guidelines, obtaining business and information technology sponsor approvals and coordinating the resources necessary to successfully complete the project.
- Other responsibilities include the refinement of requirements, project coordination, development of plans and schedules, resource planning and estimation and project maintenance. Projects may address an enterprise need or may be specific to the needs of a single department. The Program Management Director is directly responsible for management of high priority and high visibility business-driven IT Program. This position partners and collaborates with all levels of stakeholders, working closely with the business sponsors, as well as, IT, EPMO and PMO leaders. This position also leads and manages a staff to ensure the program continually aligns with departmental and corporate strategic objectives, and is implemented within approved timeframes, scope, quality and budget.
- Manages multi-million dollar, highly complex enterprise-wide programs including all aspects of the design, development and implementation utilizing tools and techniques of the project management discipline.
- Develops project plans, estimates and schedules.
- Performs quality assurance best practices to achieve high quality of requirements definition, design, development, testing and implementation.
- Communicates to executive stakeholders via reports and briefings the major milestones; identifies risks and develops mitigation strategies; provides leadership direction to project team; conducts regular status meetings; provides regular briefings to and solicits feedback from business stakeholders.
- Prepares and manages program budgets; ensures project activities are on time and under budget; develops accurate forecasts.
- Leads change process; works with key players across the organization to garner support for the program.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, business administration or related field; or equivalent work experience.
- Extensive IT project management experience; demonstrated experience directing project managers.
- Extensive experience in large, complex organizations with large, multi-year, multi-million dollar IT programs.
- Demonstrated project management experience across a variety of technology platforms, functions and industries.
- Knows how to execute project management best practices.
- Able to perform within a matrix organization.
- Able to think and operate on both the strategic and tactical levels; develop short term solutions that complement longer term goals.
- Strong team and customer focused IT leader with ability to work effectively with all levels of an organization.
- Able to translate business requirements into practical technology solutions, taking into account the impact upon the business along with the cost and complexity of the technology.
- Skilled communicator and writer able to effectively convey messages to a variety of audiences.
- Able to develop and maintain productive relationships through use of effective interpersonal and conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrated effective leadership skills.
PREFERRED WORK EXPERIENCE:
- Knowledge and experience with implemeting technology solutions in the travel, retail or finance industry related to data quality, food and beverage and baggage), with specific focus on large enterprise systems.
- Knowledge and experience with managing and implementing enterprise Custom of the shelf (COTS) solutions.
Project management certification.
COMMUNICATION AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: No
Requisition ID: 24905
Posting Location(s): District of Columbia; Maryland; Virginia
Personnel Area: DC04
Job Family/Function: Information Technology
Relocation Offered: No
Education Requirements: Bachelors Degree
Travel Requirements: Up to 25%
Employment Experience Requirements: 10 plus years of experience
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
POSTING NOTES: Information Technology || Information Technology