Indian Health Service Dental Hygienist in Wewoka, Oklahoma
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Wewoka, OK
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Monday 10/3/2016 (17 day(s) ago)
** Closes Monday 10/24/2016 (4 day(s) away)
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
This position is covered under Section 408 of the Indian Child Protection and Family Violence Prevention Act, Public Law 101-630 and is considered a Child Care Worker position. The Addendum to the OF-306 (Childcare Worker Form) is required for all applicants and can be found under required documents.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Wewoka Service Unit was named by the Seminoles after a small water fall north of the town-site, "Wewoka" means "barking waters." Founded in 1866, it is now the capitol of the Seminole Nation and the County Seat of Seminole County. Wewoka is a small rural community of 3500 and is located 30 miles SE of Shawnee and 70 miles SE of Oklahoma City. Wewoka Indian Health Center (WIHC) is centrally located in the tri-city area (Wewoka, Seminole, Holdenville.) WIHC offers several types of services including onsite services, specialty clinics, and contracted services. Patient centered care is the main focus for the staff at WIHC and we are working hard to provide increased services to ensure that our patient's healthcare needs are met. Improving Patient Care is the way we do business at WIHC. This program has resulted in 100% of our patients being empaneled to a primary care provider, decreased wait times, and improvements in patients flow. The City of Wewoka has much to offer including: Wewoka Lake and campgrounds, Seminole Nation Museum, Gil Morgan Municipal Golf Course, Skate Park, Antique Shops, and future Splash Pad. An annual Sorghum Festival is held each year attracting visitors from all over the state. Shopping malls, numerous restaurants, movie theaters, and local universities are a short 30 minute drive away in Shawnee and Ada. Wewoka is a great place to work, live, and raise a family.
The incumbent will perform advanced prophylactic and preventative dental procedures in the treatment of patients with related medical and dental problems. The position reports to the Supervisory Dental Officer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-16-OK-1809246-ESEP/MP; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered under both announcements.
- Examines patient's teeth and surrounding tissues to determine treatment
- Performs complete oral prophylaxis on ambulatory patients
- Sets up and maintains patient recall system
- Provides dental hygiene instruction and training
- Prepares dental hygiene treatment plans for patients
- Not Required
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- This is a Public Trust position; credit check is required.
- Current IHS or State dental radiological health & safety certificate
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
Individual Occupational Requirements - Dental Hygiene Series, 0682
Licensure: Active, current, unrestricted license to practice as a dental hygienist in a State or territory of the United States or the District of Columbia. Applicants must submit proof of licensure with their application package. Failure to submit your license will result in an ineligible rating.
Radiological Certification: Public Law 97-35 requires that persons who administer radiological procedures meet the credentialing standards, which are set forth in 42 CFR Part 75. Essentially, they must (1) have successfully completed an educational program, which meets or exceeds the standards described in that regulation and is credited by an organization recognized by the Department of Education and (2) be certified as radiographers in their field. The following meet these requirements:
(1) Persons employed by the Federal Government as radiologic personnel prior to the effective date of the regulation (January 13, 1986) who show evidence of current or fully satisfactory performance or certification of such from a licensed practitioner such as a doctor of medicine, osteopathy, dentistry, podiatry, or chiropractic who prescribes radiologic procedures to others.
(2) Persons first employed by the Federal Government as radiologic personnel after the effective date of the regulation who (a) received training from institutions in a State or foreign jurisdiction that did not accredit training in that particular field at the time of graduation, or (b) practiced in a State or foreign jurisdiction that did not license that particular field or did not allow special eligibility to take a licensure examination for those who did not graduate from an accredited educational program, provided that such persons show evidence of training, experience, and competence as determined by OPM or the employing agency. Applicants must submit proof of certification and/or evidence of training, experience and competence as radiographers with their application package. Failure to submit proof will result in an ineligible rating.
Your resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following type of work and/or tasks:
GS-6: At least one full year of specialized experience examining and assessing patients, determining if systemic conditions are present and planning treatments; under direction and supervision, performing oral prophylaxis and providing therapeutic care, performing deep scaling, root planning and subgingival curettage, placing temporary fillings and administering local anesthesia, placing and removing rubber dams and applying sealant; providing oral health education services to individuals and groups; taking, developing and interpreting intraoral and extraoral X-Rays..
GS-7: At least one full year of specialized experience examining and assessing patients, determining if systemic conditions are present and planning treatments; independently and without direct observation performing oral prophylaxis and providing therapeutic care, performing deep scaling, root planning and subgingival curettage, placing temporary fillings and administering local anesthesia, placing and removing rubber dams and applying sealant; providing oral health education services to individuals and groups; taking, developing and interpreting intraoral and extraoral X-Rays; and designing, implementing and evaluating major aspects of the preventive program.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program. For further information, click on http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Monday, October 24, 2016
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned
A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
MULTIPLE-GRADE ANNOUNCEMENT: Announcement at the multiple-grade interval is intended as a mechanism of providing consideration for the greatest number of potential candidates. This position may be filled at any level, dependent upon the applicant's demonstrated ability, experience, and other qualifying criteria. If the position is filled at less than the upper level, there is NO commitment for future promotions, based solely on selection resulting from this announcement. Conversely, if the employee demonstrates the ability to perform at a higher level, is recommended by the supervisor, and otherwise meets the qualifications, he/she may be promoted without further competition under the Area Merit Promotion Program, however for temporary positions, conversion without competition may not be possible unless the selectee was within reach at the higher grade on the initial certificate of eligibles. Also, no further competition is required if it becomes necessary through the reclassification process to upgrade the position.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- This position is covered under Section 408 of the Indian Child Protection and Family Violence Prevention Act, Public Law 101-630 and is considered a Child Care Worker position. The Addendum to the OF-306 (Childcare Worker Form) is required for all applicants and can be found under required documents.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957.
- This is a Public Trust position; credit check is required.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $36,025.00 to $52,043.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0682-06/07
Promotion Potential: 07
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Candidates eligible under Indian Preference appointing authority; All Federal employees serving on a career or career-conditional appointment; Reinstatement eligible; Veterans Preference including Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA); Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) eligible; Schedule A, and/or PHS Commissioned Corps Personnel.
Control Number: 452321600
Job Announcement Number: IHS-17-OK-1809253-DE