Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Physician Assistant - Primary Care in Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Tuesday 10/11/2016 (165 day(s) ago)
** Closes Tuesday 4/11/2017 (17 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1822935 OUR MISSION**: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
VAMC Tomah ( http://www.tomah.va.gov/ ) has been improving the health of the men and women who have so proudly served our nation. We consider it our privilege to serve your health care needs in any way we can. Services are available to veterans living in a Western/Central area of Wisconsin.
In addition to our main facility in Tomah, we offer services in four community-based outpatient clinics. These clinics are located in LaCrosse, Clark County, Wausau, and Wisconsin Rapids. VAMC Tomah is one of seven facilities that comprise Veterans Integrated Services Network 12 (VISN12) which is administratively headquartered at Hines, IL, and includes facilities in Illinois, Wisconsin, and Michigan.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
A relocation or recruitment incentive is not authorized for this position.
This position is open until filled and may close at any time.
This position serves as a Primary Care Physician Assistant for Medicine Service at the Wisconsin Rapids Outpatient Clinic. The Physician Assistant is an integral part of the primary care team and is called upon for a number of important duties. Specific duties include:
- Serves as the extension of the attending physician in the clinic for the delivery of quality health care.
- Performs history and physical examinations, ordering appropriate lab tests, evaluating the test results and acts within the guidelines laid down by supervising physician.
- Assist during operative cases and clinic procedures.
- Answers questions regarding consult placement, follow-up and how to get patients seen.
- Serves as clinic level patient advocate.
- Act as the focal point of the designated outpatient clinic by being the contact person for all other consultant-specialty services regarding patient care. The PA will ensure that the care is coordinated and communicated to the outpatient.
- Additional duties as required.
WORK SCHEDULE: Monday - Friday: 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
FUNCTIONAL STATEMENT TITLE: Physician Assistant
Please include VA Form 10-2850c - Application for Associated Health Occupations in your application packet(available at http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850c-fill.pdf).
- Not Required
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Proficient in spoken and written English.
- EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree from an accredited PA training program or in another health sciences related field from an accredited college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. (Note: Current VA Physician Assistant's employed prior to September 5, 2014 are exempt from this requirement)* AND* Graduate of a PA training program, or of a surgical assistant program which is accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or one of its predecessor organizations.
- CERTIFICATION: Current certification by the National Commission on Certification of Physician's Assistants (NCCPA) Note: Current VA Physician Assistant's employed prior to March 12, 1993 who are not NCCPA certified, remain exempt.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference:VA Handbook 5005/78, Part II, Appendix G8 Physician Assistant Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements: The work requires standing or walking for a major portion of the work day. The walking will often require carrying supplies or pushing carts and equipment when in surgery. In the clinics you may need to assist patients into the examinations rooms when in wheel chairs or on carts, which could consist of a variety of standing, walking, twisting, turning, sitting, bending, pushing, carrying and light lifting. This may be considered demanding physical activity.
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on "Application Status." For a more detailed update of your status, click on "more information." Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
The first list of eligible applicants will be pulled for referral on November 1, 2016. Subsequent referrals will be made monthly after that date. Applications received after the first cut-off date, will be considered for the second cut-off, and so on throughout the life of the announcement and within your specific period of eligibility.
All applicants may receive consideration for 3 months from the date of application. If you wish to be considered after that period, and the announcement is still open to receive applications, you must re-apply to indicate your continued interest.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
Salary Range: $73,450.00 to $120,751.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VN-0603-00/00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 453080600
Job Announcement Number: TM-16-AZ-1822935-BU-OCA