Washington State Dual Language Migrant and Seasonal Farmworker Outreach Specialist (WSS3 4255M) Yakima in Yakima, Washington
The closing date of this recruitment has been extended and is now open until filled. Applicant review begins on October 3, 2016. The hiring authority reserves the right to make a hiring decision at any time.
Employment Security Department (ESD) is recruiting for a Migrant and Seasonal Farmworker (MSFW) Outreach Specialist - WorkSource Specialist 3 (WSS3). This position provides the full array of WorkSource services to customers both in the office and through outreach to Migrant and/or Seasonal Farm Workers that are not accessing services within the office. This position works with employers within the Agricultural industry to assist them in meeting their needs by referrals, placements, and assistance with the H-2A program information. The MSFW outreach worker also contacts non-agricultural employers to conduct job development for farm workers to help them obtain training and year round employment. This position will conduct outreach in Yakima, Ellensburg, and Wapato on a daily basis.
- Provide the full range of staff-assisted core and intensive services to WorkSource customers, both in the center and during outreach including: conduct in-depth interviews, partial and full registrations, provide Unemployment Insurance information, review job readiness, employment barriers and customer needs; identify employment and/or training goals.
- Communicate effectively in person, via telephone and in writing in Spanish and English.
- Travel to Ellensburg and Wapato on a daily basis.
- Record all outreach contacts on the daily outreach log.
- Record facts and process customer complaints referring to Labor & Industries and/or other departments/agencies as needed.
- Network with service providers and perform outreach to Opportunities Industrialization Center (OIC), Migrant Farmworker Head Start providers, housing facilities, etc.
- Communicate in both English and Spanish to promote agency and partner programs and services to encourage maximum utilization of available services.
- Conduct on site field visits to H-2A employers and workers after foreign workers have arrived in order to observe terms and conditions of employment specified in the H-2A Clearance Order, to answer questions from workers or employers, and to offer WorkSource Services.
- Serve as the local office subject matter expert on the proper coding of MSFWs and provide training to staff and partners. Qualifications
- Working-level knowledge of characteristics associated with unemployed, dislocated, and disadvantaged populations.
- Working-level general knowledge of labor market conditions.
- Awareness-level general knowledge of the workforce one-stop system and partner programs and services.
- Working-level oral communication skills - convey information orally according to the needs of the audience, and receive and understand spoken information.
Working-level customer service skills – build and maintain customer relations and satisfaction. Additional requirement:
Ability to communicate effectively in person, via telephone and in writing in Spanish and English. Note: There is an additional five percent assignment pay for this position for required language skills.
Condition of employment:
- Ability to travel between Yakima, Ellensburg and Wapato on a daily basis. Supplemental Information
Attach a resume and letter of interest to your on-line application (through the Add Attachment(s) field).
A resume will not substitute for the "work experience" section of the application.
Applications with comments such as "see attachments" or "N/A" in the supplemental question responses will be considered incomplete.
General suggestions for creating a good application packet:
- Read the job posting very carefully. Find out as much as you can about the position.
- Make sure you are very diligent in following all the application instructions. Include all requested documentation.
- Make sure your application and supplemental question responses address how you meet each of the required and desired qualifications.
- Carefully read each of the supplemental questions and respond completely to each one. Pay careful attention to each component of the question, providing examples, and thoroughly describing when and where you achieved the proficiency level, and detail the types of work you performed, the work products, etc., to demonstrate 'how'.
- Specifically include all of your work experiences doing the same or similar work, especially if you reference work in these jobs in describing when/where you gained proficiency level skills.
- Make sure your application reflects your best writing.
Other Information As a condition of employment, the successful candidate accepting this position must comply with the Union Security clause contained in the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the State of Washington and the Washington Federation of State Employees.
For inquiries about this opportunity, please contact the Recruitment Team at 360-902-9560 or HRRecruiting@esd.wa.gov.
Individuals with disabilities needing assistance in the application process or needing this job announcement in an alternate format should provide their contact information via e-mail or telephone.
Employment Security Department is an equal-opportunity employer and provider of employment and training services. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. Washington Relay Service–711.
If you are having technical difficulties creating, accessing or completing your application, please contact NEOGOV toll-free at (855) 524-5627 or email@example.com.
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Job Number: 2016-06689
Department: Employment Security Department
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Salary: $36,744.00 - $48,060.00 Annually
Location: Yakima County – Yakima, WA