Indian Health Service Clinical Nurse in Zuni, New Mexico
Indian Health Service
2 vacancies in the following location:
- Zuni, NM
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Tuesday 9/20/2016 (37 day(s) ago)
** Closes Tuesday 11/1/2016 (5 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement IHS-16-AQ-1803579-ESEP/MP for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered
This position is located in the Department of Obstetrics at Zuni Service Unit (ZSU), Zuni, New Mexico, under the supervision of the Supervisory Clinical Nurse. The purpose of this position is to independently plan and provide comprehensive nursing care for patients on the obstetrical unit by providing antepartum, intrapartum, and postpartum nursing care. Provides nursing care to the newborn infant during recovery and post-recovery. Provides nursing care on the inpatient and outpatient units when census is low in the obstetrical unit. Shift rotation of days, nights, holidays and weekend is required.
Area of Consideration: All Sources
Amendment 1: Extend closing date from October 11, 2016.
- Provides nursing care to the antepartum, intrapartum, and postpartum patients, administering medications, performing vaginal checks for dilation, effacement, station, presenting part, position, status of membranes, operating fetal monitors, interpretation of fetal monitor strips, and neonatal monitoring devices.
- Provides nursing care to the newborn infant during recovery and post-recovery.
- Utilizes the nursing process in identifying individual patient problems and in developing, implementing and evaluating patient care plans using standard of care.
- Operates and monitors specialized equipment safely and correctly.
- Administers therapeutic measures as prescribed by the physician.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may involve transport of patients to other medical facilities.
- Relocation expenses are authorized and will be paid. You will be required to sign a one year service agreement. Failure to fulfill the one year service agreement may result in repayment of relocation expenses.
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
Education: Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant.
Registration: Applicants must have active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below:
In Addition to Meeting the Basic Requirements:
Candidates must have had 52 weeks of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-9 level.
Evaluation of Experience: Experience must have equipped the applicant with particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position. At the GS-9 and above, many positions require experience in a specialty area of nursing.
Specialized Experience: Independently provides moderate to difficult professional nursing care to obstetrical patients. Provides nursing care to the antepartum, intrapartum and postpartum patients, administering critical medications, performing vaginal checks for dilation, effacement, station, presenting part, position, status of membranes, operating fetal monitors, interpretation of fetal monitor strips and neonatal monitoring devices. Provides nursing care to the newborn infant during recovery and post-recovery.
SELECTIVE FACTOR: In addition to the qualification requirements, to be rated basically qualified for the position, applicants must demonstrate possession of the following. Verification of current, valid, active, unrestricted license in any State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States is required when filling all positions for registered nurses at all levels.
PUBLIC HEALTH SERVICE (PHS) LICENSURE POLICY: Each PHS Nurse must possess and maintain a valid, active, current licensure/registration as a professional nurse.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Tuesday, November 01, 2016
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
- Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
- A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection.
- This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
- Recruitment or relocation incentives may be authorized. At least a 6 month service agreement will be required.
- Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned.
- The Indian Health Service (IHS), National Health Service Corps (NHSC), and the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) have student loan repayment programs for qualifying health disciplines. This is a competitive process separate from the hiring process. Opportunities for LRP are based on agency hiring priorities and availability of funds. For additional information please visit: For IHS - https://www.ihs.gov/loanrepayment/ NHSC - https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loanrepayment/ For HRSA Nurse Corps - http://www.hrsa.gov/loanscholarships/repayment/nursing/index.html
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- This position is covered by PL 101-630 (child care).
- This position work under an alternative work schedule, call back, rotating shifts, days/nights/weekends/holidays.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $59,734.00 to $73,882.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0610-10/10
Promotion Potential: 10
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens; PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps MUST apply to the merit promotion announcement in order to receive consideration.
Control Number: 450999900
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-AQ-1803580-DH