SMG Executive Chef in Long Beach, California
POSITION: Executive Chef
REPORTS TO: Director of Operations
FLSA STATUS: Salary
SMG, the leader in privately managed public assembly facilities, has an excellent and immediate opening for the Executive Chef for SMG/Premier Long Beach Convention and Entertainment Center. This position is responsible for Managing activities and directs and coordinates chefs, cooks, and other kitchen workers engaged in preparing and cooking foods by performing the following duties personally or through subordinate supervisors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee all food production, preparation, and quality assurance checks
- Drive menu development, working with sales staff on concepts and themes
- Ensure accurate recipe development and testing
- Double check food and equipment purchases for all aspects of the business
- Maintain cost of goods, labor, and any other P&L responsibilities at or below budget
- Schedule and supervise employees, checking weekly schedules
- Enforce all sanitation and maintenance procedures
- Training and mentoring of all staff
- Responsible for inventory control and the proper rotation of all items
- Communicate with operations department to ensure SMG standards are maintained
- Work with sales staff to assign prices to menu items, keeping in line with area competition
- Network with clients and potential clients
- Other duties may be assigned.
Directly supervises kitchen personnel. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with SMG's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding; disciplining employees in conjunction with Human Resources; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor's degree or Certificate from accredited culinary school, college, or technical school
- 5 or more years of hands on experience
- 3 or more years of kitchen/culinary supervisory experience
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to use and maintain basic food service and kitchen equipment
- Ability to train others in the use of basic food service and kitchen equipment
- Strong analytical and mathematic skills in relation to the culinary profession and Food and Beverage industry
- Strong communication skills and the ability to read, write, and understand English
- Ability to interact with all levels of staff Ability to quickly identify problems and resolve them
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have some knowledge of computers. Word processing and spreadsheet experience is preferred.
- Five years' experience as a Chef managing fast paced high volume kitchen operations.
- Must have extensive experience managing the production of food for catering functions and retail, and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Must have knowledge of Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software, and have capacity to learn new programs as needed.
- Strong hospitality orientation.
- Good work ethic
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills.
- Ability to undertake and complete multiple tasks.
- Must be ServSafe Certified and LEAD or ServeSMART Certified
- Must have the ability to work a varied and flexible shift.
- Must have the ability to comply and implement all Standard Operating Procedures
- Must have the ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Must be able to write reports business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Must have the ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups or managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Have the ability to calculate food quantities needed, basic math and firm grasp of all common units of measure.
- Must be able to read and perform all standard and custom menus.
- Check all BEO'S for missing information relating to food requirements.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to move around the facility; to stand for long hours during events; talk and hear. This position may require work inside or outside of the building, as needed by events.
The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
SMG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled