SMG General Manager, Stadiums/ Arenas in Peoria, Illinois
SMG, the leader in privately managed public assembly facilities, has an excellent and immediate opening for General Manager, Stadiums-Arenas, for SMG/Peoria Civic Center. The Peoria Civic Center features an 11,330 seat arena, a 2,196-seat theater, 45,000 sq. ft. of meeting space and 110,000 sq. ft. of exhibit space. The downtown location is 10 minutes from the Peoria International Airport and has 1,000 hotel rooms within walking distance of the center and over 4,000 hotel rooms nearby.
This individual will be responsible for leadership of the overall daily management, promotion and operation of the facilities; including oversight of all operating departments including without limitation, sales, booking, marketing, finance and accounting, human resources, food and beverage, box office, advertising, security, purchasing, event production, plant operation and maintenance, parking and related operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Establishes and maintains active contact and an effective working relationship with the Client/Contract Administrator, tenants, government departments and agencies, sports and entertainment industry, community and civic organizations, as well as, union representatives (where applicable) to encourage continual and regular use of the facilities.
- Monitors compliance with all provisions of SMG's management services contract and develops and implements facility goals in accordance with the contract, the Client's objectives, corporate policy, and good business practice.
- Prepares and maintains required and necessary reports/records for the Client/Contract Administrator and for the Corporate Office.
- Directs the development, administration and execution of all financial and operating reports including: preliminary budget, capital expenses, operating revenue, expense budgets, etc.
- Ensures that the facility materials, equipment and supplies are inventoried; additionally approves the purchase of facilities supplies, materials, and athletic equipment as needed.
- Plans, organizes, coordinates and directs all activities and personnel engaged in maintaining and operating the facility, as well as, direction and oversight of the day-to-day operations and the booking and promotion of events.
- Negotiates and provides final approval on all contractual agreements with vendors, and use agreements with event organizers, hosts, managers and producers.
- Assures the coordination, implementation and administration of specific plans and programs prescribed by corporate directives, to include: maintain high-standards for guest services, employee training and development, quality assurance, energy efficiency, safety/emergency procedures, crowd control and crisis management procedures, or other areas as required.
- Oversees the development of the annual business plan, including; event calendar, activity schedules, sales and marketing activities and goals, service objectives and projections for attendance and/or revenue.
- Conduct weekly meetings with senior staff, as well as regular meetings with contract administrator, municipal leaders, marketing/alliance partners, budgeting and staff meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Status and Scope
Reports to the Regional Manager/Vice President. Directly supervises all the senior staff at the location. The individual must establish and maintain effective working relationships with the Client/Contract Administrator, tenants, government departments and agencies, sports and entertainment industry, community and civic organizations, as well as, union representatives (where applicable) to encourage continual and regular use of the facility.
This individual must be a well-established leader and professional with a minimum of 5-7 years of industry experience in a senior management level position within a Stadium or Arena. They must have a proven track record of managing and leading large scale facility operations with a diverse workforce. Must have significant experience in the following areas: contract negotiations, supervising personnel, booking, promoting and supervising live entertainment productions, business law, purchasing procedures, plus labor relations and union contracts (if applicable). The incumbent must be able to perform effectively under significant pressure typically associated with meeting the demands and timetables of the industry. Must demonstrate business acumen with a client/customer service focus, and ability to communicate effectively in both written and public speaking forums. Bachelor's Degree (BA) from a four-year accredited college or university with major course work in business or public administration or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
Ariel Popa Peoria Civic Center 201 W. Jefferson Avenue Peoria, IL 61602
Applicants that need reasonable accommodations to complete the application process may contact 610-729-1023.
SMG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled